Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Just A Third World Country Boy

Okay, it's been a couple of months since I last blogged. I was just reading some of my crap and noticed so grammatical errors. I'm not sweating it since I really don't think anybody reads this anyways.

In most third world countries, homeless people are a given. They are always subject to the whims of plague, famine, wars, civil wars, depressed economies, drought, etc. America, is also heading in that category too. We are no longer the nation with the highest standard of living. 

I picked the title as a play on words like on that game show, Wheel of Fortune. Yes, you heard about it. The show with that skinny model that is paid millions just to push buttons on a letter. I think her name is Vanna? 


Well, I'm just a third world country boy, at heart and I thank God for it too. I say that because my dad was a simple man and really didn't care for the finer things in life, just his children. My dad grew up poor during The Great Depression and being part of the Tiwa tribe from Texas, that made him accustom to the hardships of the time. Many indigenous tribes in their concentration camps, I mean, Reservations, live like those in third world countries. These people have already acclimated. So, with that background, I too am following the footsteps like my dad. Although a simple man with an eighth grade education, he was an avid reader, civil worker, tax preparer, and an ace mechanic.

As for the finer things in life, he loved the simple things it had. His family, bar hopping, gambling, beer, baseball, reading about conspiracies and in his own way, a consumer advocate. He really enjoyed the work of Ralph Nader. He also liked to take the family car on weekend camping trips without too much gear or equipment and just rough it. That is the mentality I have now. 
I live in a state of perpetual camping which I attribute to homelessness. It is always there in the back of my mind. I also live in a state of fear and panic. One of the memorable quotes from the movie, "The Shawshank Redemption", Morgan Freeman portrays a prisoner. He said, "It's a terrible thing to live in fear".  I think about that line and say the same thing to myself. Never knowing what will happen next, Who is the next person that is going to harrass you, Why is that person looking at you that way? How much gas is left in the car? How do you make twenty dollars last? If you died, who would know and who would even care?


How truly lonely it can be in a world full of people not far from you? It is a stark contrast between a true survival situation like being lost in the forest with no food or your car broke down in the middle of the desert. How utterly sad when there are people around but nobody wants to help. It is no different than being stranded on a deserted island. The truth is, people have deserted their fellow man.

A third world country boy, can survive.



No comments:

Post a Comment